Thursday, May 13, 2010

God's Hand

It till amazes me to see how God has intervened in our lives.  I know He's always been there, but to be able to go back and pinpoint His work in this is....well I don't even have words.  I am humbled that he would even reveal His miracles to us.

A while back, before our daughter was born, Erik had run across an article detailing the biological responses of the human body when receiving vaccines.  I realize this is controversial, but bear with me.  I don't feel like delving into that topic at the moment.  I only bring this up because without this article, we never would have found the proper treatment for B.

This article caught Erik's attention.  He became very interested in vaccine safety, vaccine side effects, and eventually studying Autism itself.  Through his research, we learned about DAN! doctors.  (Defeat Autism Now)  DAN! doctors use biomedical treatments to treat the root cause of symptoms.

Honestly, I didn't know what direction to take with B's tic disorder.  In conventional medicine, it is common practice to send children to a neurologist, observe symptoms for a year to diagnose Tourette's Syndrome, then either medicate or wait to see if the tics subside.  Erik decided we needed to see a DAN! doctor.  Thank you God for this!

Our first meeting with Dr. Baptist was interesting to say the least.  Honestly, I had no idea what to expect.  I just thought we'd go in, he'd say, "here are some supplements" and send us on our merry way.  Ha!  I should have been more prepared.  He decided to allergy test right then and there.  B tested positive for 25 foods.  Milk being the most tragic for little guy.  He loves milk!  (I would find out later that people with food allergies often become addicted to the foods they are allergic to.  The offending foods create a 'high.' So, when B said 'I need milk cup!' He really 'needed' milk cup.  The lush.)  Also, has many environmental allergies that we are now treating with allergy shots.

Had Erik not found that article, B would either still have major tics and be waiting for a diagnosis or be heavily medicated.  God is Good!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you found a DAN! you like. Most are very thorough and see the deeper issues going on. You are right, it's very common for our kids to just want the food they are allergic to more than any other food. You should see my son with a piece of bread, it's almost scary.

    ReplyDelete