Sunday, May 16, 2010

B's Awesome Progress!

We struggled a little at first.  The hardest day for B and me happened at Jazzercise.  It was maybe the second week of the new rotation diet.  We arrived at Jazzercise.  I took B and his little sister to the childcare room, forgetting about the snacks served there.  B went immediately to the graham crackers and brought them to Miss Elizabeth.  He looked at her with such hope in his eyes and said, "Will you please open these?"  I looked at him and watched his face fall as I said, "I'm sorry baby, crackers have gluten in them."  His eyes filled with tears and I can't even describe the look on his face.  It was as if at that moment he realized the magnitude of all this.  That his life was really changed.

Now, he is so good about saying, "No thank you.  I have allergies."  The good news is, B has never cared too much for food.  One time he even said, "Mom, I don't like food."  That means giving up some things hasn't been as hard on him as it would be for somebody who LOVES food (like myself).

The progress we have seen in B is nothing short of miraculous.  He has gone from ticking every two minutes to subtle tics every once in a great while.  He will have whole days where we don't notice them at all.  His behavior is significantly less erratic.  He eats so much more.  He sleeps through the night.  His sensory issues have decreased.  He even stopped biting his fingernails...which used to be down to the nubs and then he'd start on his toenails.  The circles under his eyes have disappeared.  He doesn't get sick all the time.  He is filling out and is so much happier!   Praise God!  I can't even begin to tell you how happy this makes me!  God Bless Dr. Baptist!

No comments:

Post a Comment