Thursday, May 13, 2010

Adjusting

After learning about the 25 food allergies, I had a million different reactions.  The first was confusion.  I could not even comprehend what had just taken place.  I was in a daze.  Next, was anger.  What a quack!  He just wants to sell allergy shots!  He probably didn't read the test right!  B has sensitive skin, of course his skin reacts. My child will be malnourished without these foods!  And finally, resignation.  Well, let's start with dairy and see if it has any effects...it did.

B gave milk up a lot easier than we'd thought he would.  He quickly learned to like soy milk and I even found I could make a really tasty tofu lasagna.  B's tics decreased dramatically.  Next, was wheat.  This was a little harder. Everything has wheat.  We took B to get a full blood panel and had to wait 6 weeks to get the results.  I just knew the blood panel would say B had less allergens than the skin test.  I couldn't wait to get the results!  Then, the appointment we were waiting for had finally arrived.

I stared blankly at the page in the Dr.'s office.  43 allergens.  43 allergens.  43 allergens.  This would not leave my brain.  How could I have been poisoning my boy with every single food I'd been feeding him?  He would cry at the dinner table because he felt bad and I would always say, 'one more bite' or 'eat your peas before you can play'...and it was poisoning him.

This is B's (incomplete) allergy list:  apple, barley, beef!, bran, cashew, cheese, coconut, codfish, crab, gluten(bummer), Honey (okay not an allergen, but not recommended), lamb, lobster, malt, milk, mushroom, mustard, oats, green olives, oranges, peas (favorite), peanuts, pork, rice, rye, safflower, salmon, sesame, shrimp, sole, soy (yep, no more soy milk either), sugar (again not an allergy, but bad for yeast overgrowth), swordfish, tuna, walnut, watermelon (his favorite),wheat, yeast, yogurt.

We got a handy little book that had B's diet all written out for us.  B was put on a rotation diet.  This means the food he eats on one day can not be eaten again for four days along with every food in that food family.

This is what Day 2 of the book looks like:
 Protein: Crayfish   Haddock
Grain: Buckwheat, Tapioca, Hemp
Vegetables: Asparagus, onion, seaweed, pumpkin, cassava, shallot, cucumber, rhubarb, squash, leeks, scallion, zucchini
Fruits: Avocado, mango, pineapple, cantaloupe, melon, pomegranate, caba melon, date, persimmon
Nuts: pine, pistachio, poppy
Spices: bay leaf, cardamom, chives, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, saffron
oils: canola, olive
beverages: cinnamon tea, hemp milk, pineapple juice

Overwhelmed.  I was beyond overwhelmed.  I dreamed of food all that night.  I didn't even know what to give B for breakfast.  I didn't know how I could even fit those foods together to make a meal.  One evening that week, Erik came home from work and I went into our bedroom and I melted down.  I shut the door to our room and didn't come out until the next morning.  God was at work even then.  I'd been having trouble sleeping and was just about to doze off when I bolted upright wide awake with this one almost audible message, "It's just food."  It's so silly that this would bring me so much comfort, but my whole outlook began to change.  The next morning, God gave me this verse:

 "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous hand. ~ Isaiah 41:10"

No comments:

Post a Comment