Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Autism One Day 1

Today was our first day of the Autism One conference.  Not too much to write about today.  I attended one session that was semi-interesting.  I may blog about it later, or not.  The most informative sessions are coming up later in the week.  Erik has agreed to blog the sessions he attends.  Hooray!

Speaking of Erik.  What astounded me last year, and this year, too, is the low number of fathers at Autism One.  I realize some families can only afford for one spouse to miss work.  Also, some families need a parent to stay home with the children or cannot financially afford the trip for two.  But it's the stories of the mothers shouldering this all on their own that break my heart.  I've heart numerous accounts of fathers not being able to face autism and it's challenges.  They either leave, disconnect, or leave the care and research up to the wives.  We all handle stress in different ways, so I can't judge what's in the heart of these men.  Sometimes, like today, I'm reminded of just how blessed I am to have Erik by my side.

Erik sat through the cooking sessions today.  What a guy!  I attended the cooking last year and a few sessions this afternoon.  I'm going to share the most amazing recipe with you.  I'm hoping B someday outgrows his coconut allergy because this recipe is delicious!  I'll share more recipes later.

Coconut Cilantro Chutney 
by Deepa Deshmukh, RD
DuPageDietitians.com

Makes 1 cup of Chutney

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh cilantro (stems and all!)
1/4 cup fresh mint
1/4 cup dry or fresh coconut
2 T pepita (pumpkin seeds)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 salt or to taste
1/2 jalapeno (I'm thinking this could be left out)
1 T cumin (optional)
1/2 cup water for blending, adjust as necessary

1. Using a blender or food processor, puree all ingredients together.

Enjoy:
  • As a veggie dip or with crackers
  • Blend with rice, quinoa or other grain (quinoa was awesome with this!  I wonder if minced cauliflower would work for GAPS
  • Sauce, condiment on eggs or grilled chicken or fish
  • Mix into hummus or yogurt

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good first day. I will admit, in our home, I am the one that does 99% of the stuff. BUT, that's not because hubby isn't interested or distanced. Goodness, he's the one that does 100% of the wrestling on the floor, chasing around the house, adventures in the woods, and so on, so I call that fair. Hehehe. I do it because I have the mindset to keep it all straight, the organzational skills to get it all organized, and the time (he works most of their waking hours).

    Having said that, we have friends that the wife does it all for very different reasons, their husbands check out of the situation. It's so sad. I feel for them. They think we are the same, but we aren't. My husband is my cheerleader, my support, all the way down to my back rubber after a bad day. I have him there for anything I need, anything the kids need, and to help me along the way. They don't and I hate that for them. Sounds like you got a great, great guy in Erik. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe looks great. I'm so glad you have Erik by your side :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OFIH--Sounds like you've got a great guy too! I consider what you have a division of labor ;) I realized after I posted that my post may have come out all wrong.

    ReplyDelete